To celebrate the much anticipated arrival of autumn I am very excited to share with you my latest cupcake creation.
(Drum roll please…)
Introducing the one and only:
Sunkissed chocolate orange cupcake with Grand Marnier ganache
A moist chocolate cupcake infused with orange zest and Grand Marnier topped with a luscious swirl of rich ganache and a slightly tangy orange sherbet buttercream. Add a slice of candied orange and you have the most delectable winter cupcake. Yum!
Need I say more?
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup warm water
- 50 ml bottle Grand Marnier
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pure cocoa
- 1 tablespoon coffee mixed in 2 tblsp boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups castor (granulated) sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F)
- Line two muffin trays with cupcake papers
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk eggs, vanilla and oil
- Add sour cream.
- Dissolve coffee powder into boiling water and add to warm water. Pour into wet mixture
- Add 2 tablespoons of the grand marnier. Whisk to combine
- In a separate bowl sift flour, bicarb soda and baking powder. Hand whisk to combine
- Sift in cocoa powder. Whisk
- Using your fingers, rub orange zest into sugar until fragrant. Add to dry mix
- Slowly pour wet mix into dry mix and whisk well ensuring all ingredients are well combined
- Carefully scoop mixture evenly into muffin trays
- Bake in a moderate oven for 18 - 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Frost with a swirl of chocolate ganache and orange buttercream.
- 125g salted butter
- 125g cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract or essence
- Approx 3 cups icing (powdered sugar), sifted
- Pouring cream
- Orange food colouring
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed with a paddle attachment, beat butter until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add cream cheese and beat for another 3 minutes until very creamy.
- Add vanilla and orange extracts.
- Reduce mixer to low speed and slowly add icing sugar a little at a time. Add dashes of cream as mixture becomes stiff. Continue until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Add a few drops of orange gel colouring. Whip until smooth.
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- 4 teaspoons Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Finely chop chocolate and set aside in a heatproof bowl
- Put cream in a small saucepan and heat on stove on low heat until simmering
- Carefully pour cream over chocolate, leave about a minute and stir carefully with a spatula. Mix until all chocolate has melted and ganache looks smooth.
- Carefully stir in grand marnier and honey (which gives the ganache a shine)
- Let ganache sit at room temperature until thick enough to put into a piping bag with star nozzle.