I confess I was having a bit of a stressful day. With ten people living in your house, sometimes you get that! By about 4pm, my tolerance levels were diminishing rapidly and I knew there was only one thing I needed to do, and I needed to do it fast.
Thankfully I was expecting visitors in the afternoon, so I really did have a valid excuse.
Way back in the deep recesses of my cupboard, hiding in a place you don’t want to go too often, I had a stash of Oreo biscuits, mini Oreos and this wierd unusual American product I had never heard of called Marshmallow Fluff…….
A few months back I came across a chocolate cupcake recipe with this unknown ‘fluff’ scooped into it, and I was intrigued.
Low and behold, while shopping in Aldi one day, there it was…..
marshmallow fluff, right next to the Oreo biscuits and American marshmallows.
Both the cupcake mixture and icing have generous amounts of crushed Oreo biscuits in them, and the scoops of marshmallow fluff turn these little sweeties into something spectacular.
They most certainly hit the spot if you are having a down day, or really NEED an afternoon lift.
Oreo cupcakes with marshmallow fluff
* 2 eggs lightly beaten * 1 cup canola oil * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract * 1 cup sour cream * 1 cup of boiling water with 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules dissolved into it. Leave to cool slightly.
* 2 cups plain flour, sifted * 1 and 1/2 cups castor sugar * 1 teaspoon bi carb soda * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder * 3/4 cup pure cocoa * 1 packet Oreo biscuits finely processed
*Prepare two muffin trays with cupcake papers.
*Turn oven onto 180 Celsius
1. Whisk eggs in a small bowl.
2. Add oil, vanilla and sour cream. Use hand whisk to combine.
3. Pour in diluted coffee. Whisk together and set aside.
4. Sift flour and cocoa into separate bowl. Add sugar.
Whisk to combine.
5. Add bicarb soda and baking powder.
6. Add half of the crushed Oreo biscuits. Reserve rest for icing.
7. Gently pour wet mix into dry ingredients. Use hand whisk to thoroughly combine.
8. Scoop mixture into prepared cupcake papers, about 1/3 full.
9. Put trays into oven.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until firm to touch. Place cupcakes onto rack to cool.
*When cold, using a sharp knife, cut a cone shape out of the top of each cupcake.
*Using 1 tablespoon at a time, scoop Marshmallow Fluff into each hole. Replace cupcake lid. Flatten slightly.
* 125g softened butter
* 125g softened cream cheese
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups icing mixture
* Half a packet of crushed Oreo biscuits
* About 1/4 cup pure cream
1. Using the paddle attachment, mix together butter and cream cheese, for about 3-5 minutes until soft and light.
2. Add vanilla extract.
3. Turn mixer onto low and start putting icing mixture in carefully.
4. Add cream as necessary.
5. Put in reserved Oreo biscuits and mix until well combined. Use more cream if you need to.
6. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and add a mini Oreo if desired.